So a few weeks has elapsed since Staffordshire, and this is the burning question in my mind. so – what’s next for me?
The easiest answer is – I really don’t know.
But a few things have struck me in the last few weeks:
I have loved the last year… yes, it may have had some highs and lows – but overall, the experience has been a definite positive one within my life. One thing is for sure – I do want to carry on training.
Ok – so I may never make it – and I may never become an amazing athlete – but first and foremost i have enjoyed the experience – and in my books that counts for a lot.
On my holiday with the Mrs to Croatia over the last few weeks, I realised that over the last year I have genuinely loved being active, being outdoors, exercising, but most of all – I have loved challenging myself – which is exactly what this was all about for me – getting fit, challenging myself, and doing something out of my comfort zone – & if I could raise some cash for the BHF, then all the better!
I’ve thought long and hard about it – specifically, what I want to achieve why I want to achieve it – and in my mind there are a number of distinct immediate options:
2015 season options..
- persist with 70.3 – perhaps complete another 1 this season? – possibly this as it has a relatively cheap entry fee & is quite local to Stevenage?
- Step down from 70.3 and do some Olympic distances?
- Something else*?
2016 season options..
- persist with 70.3’s
- and then up to a full Ironman later in the season?
- Something else*?
I’s the something else that is actually sticking in my mind – what other things could I do? [by all means comment below!]
Either way – I need to make a decision soon, as entries will be opening shortly judging from last years open dates!
In the immediate though, I need to shed some of the holiday excess baggage and get back training ASAP!
*The something else could be to concentrate on specific goals: off the top of my head:
- sub 20min 5k – PB currently at 22mins 47s (ITU Hyde Park London)
- sub 45min 10k – PB 49mins 48s (MK Half Marathon negative splits for the last 10k!).
- sub 1hr 45min half marathon – PB currently 1hr 48:19s (MK Half Marathon) – with the aim of going sub 1hr 40, which for someone that could not run more than a few hundred yards a few years ago is pretty darn respectable!